The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) employs 16,800 staff members in 134 countries. For over half a century, UNHCR has helped millions of people to restart their lives. They include refugees, returnees, stateless people, the internally displaced and asylum-seekers.
The UNHCR Representation for EU Affairs in Brussels (REUA) is seeking a full-time: Senior Communications Assistant
The Senior Communications Assistant will be part of the Communications (Media) Unit within REUA. The unit provides critical support to the delivery of UNHCR’s European Union (EU) advocacy and funding objectives, working in coordination across the office and organization, and with EU communications stakeholders, representing, for example, the EU, NGOs, other UN agencies, and the media.
The successful applicant will work under the supervision of the Communications Officer. Advice may also be provided by relevant functional units in the office and at Headquarters. The appointee will have contacts within the organization and outside the duty station in countries and offices under the purview of REUA (Belgium, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Ireland, Malta and Poland).
Main duties and responsibilities
Main duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Support with drafting communications content for internal use (key messages, Q&A);
- Assist with drafting and creating communications strategies and content for external use (press releases, social and digital copy and content);
- Support with responding to media and stakeholder enquiries;
- Provide media monitoring and reporting as needed;
- Plan and evaluate activities;
- Assist with events (internal and external);
- Database management (internal and external stakeholders) and archiving;
- Support in preparing the communications budget and monitor its execution;
- Provide team cover as needed;
- Provide administrative and logistical support as needed, and perform other duties as required.
Required minimum qualifications and professional experience:
- 2 years of relevant professional experience if combined with a High School Diploma or 1 year if combined with a Bachelor or higher degree in the field of Communication, Journalism, Political Science, International Relations or similar, EU-focused post-graduate studies;
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of French;
- Excellent drafting and editing skills in English;
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and work to tight deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Dynamic team player;
- Passion and flair for communications.
- Exposure to EU institutions and to working in an international environment;
- Experience with media, including the Brussels press corps;
- Previous experience with UNHCR an asset;
- Knowledge of other EU languages an asset.
The successful candidate will be based in the UNHCR Representation for EU Affairs in Brussels.
Conditions & Contract period
An initial 5-month contract is offered with possibility of renewal. Start date is August 2020.
It is a full-time role, Monday to Friday (40 hours per week) with working hours starting from 9 am to 6 pm (1h lunch break).
The salary is in line with the UN General Service Salary Scale but subject to local taxation.
Interested candidates must fill in the Personal History (P.11) form in English
, including the Letter of Interest section, which can be obtained from apply link
, The completed Personal History form is to be submitted, together with a CV,by Monday 08 June 2020 at 23:59
to contact person's mail
with ‘Snr Comm Assistant’ and the candidate’s surname
in the subject. Late applications will not be accepted.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
UNHCR has a zero tolerance policy against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA), an unacceptable behaviour and prohibited conduct for UNHCR personnel.