Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Tashkent
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 4
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 15-MAY-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The UNESCO Tashkent Office is implementing a project funded by the Peace Building Fund “Youth for Social Harmony in the Fergana Valley” jointly with the Youth Union of Uzbekistan and other national stakeholders such as the Ministry of Public Education, Academy of the State Prosecutor’s Office, UNDP and UNODC in Uzbekistan. The project aims to support communities to better adapt to the rapid reform process in Uzbekistan, while enabling local service providers to deliver the reform agenda in an inclusive manner. This project focuses on young people as a fast growing demographic and the future of the country, and aims to ensure that they are not left behind in the context of the rapid changes linked to the reform process. The context analysis noted the high percentage of young people, and in particular young women, who are not in employment, education or training in Uzbekistan with the Fergana Valley among the lowest performing regions. This project will address one of the main risk factors for social tension and conflict identified in the Fergana Valley, by contributing to increased civic participation and bottom-up approach to policy development.
Within this project, UNESCO will contribute in equipping young people in Fergana valley with knowledge and skills that foster their civic participation and socio-economic inclusion. In partnership with the Ministry of Public Education, UNESCO will empower teachers and students of Fergana valley in building necessary skills to foster active civic participation and employability. In addition, within this activity UNESCO will address ethics and integrity issues in the higher education provision in Fergana valley jointly with the Academy of the General Prosecutor’s Office.
Under the overall authority of the Head of UNESCO Tashkent Office and the direct supervision of UNESCO Tashkent NPO in Education, the incumbent shall support the design, implementation and monitoring of the project activities as well as preparation of the reports.
Detailed tasks decription
Detailed task description for the incumbent is as follows:
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Providing technical and analytical contribution to the design and implementation of activities planned within this project, and ensuring timely execution, anticipate bottlenecks and take appropriate actions to address the challenges;
- By working closely with other project partners, preparing of related documents (including concept notes for regional meetings, workshop/meeting programmes and synthesis reports), guidelines, as well as other documents that may be needed for the implementation of planned activities within this project;
- Providing technical and analytical inputs in preparing briefings and progress reports;
- Draft correspondence and maintain close communication with the Youth Union, Ministry of Public Education, the Ministry of Higher and Secondary Specialized Education, Academy of the State Prosecutor’s Office, universities in the Fergana valley, UNDP and UNODC in Uzbekistan;
- Ensure organization of workshops/meetings/conferences planned within this project, including logistical and administrative arrangements;
- Provide technical contribution and assistance in monitoring the country-level education project activities, as assigned; Participate and provide technical inputs in meetings as required.
- Provide other support requested from the ED Unit supervisor.
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
- University degree in the field of education, business administration/management, social sciences, political sciences or other fields related to the mandate of UNESCO.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant working experience in the field of education or related field - planning, design and project implementation, business administration/management;
- Proven experience in providing support for the management and implementation of programmes and/or projects;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Uzbek required, good knowledge of Russian desirable.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
- Good knowledge and understanding of the UNESCO programmes in the field of education;
- Ability to undertake research and analysis activities including the collection and synthesis of information and data from various sources;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills with proven ability to draft clearly and concisely and to produce high level quality briefings and other documents;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and to maintain effective working relations within a multi-cultural environment, including with the ministries of education;
- Ability to manage a heavy workload and to meet tight deadlines, paying close attention to detail and quality of work.
- Sense of diplomacy, tact and discretion;
- Excellent IT skills, including good knowledge of content management tools and standard office software.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website and UNESCO's career website.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.