Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Early Recovery Advisor or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Economics Specialist will:
Provide high quality economic analysis to UNDP and UNCT as it relates to COVID-19 assessments and related programmes and ensures that UNDP programmes are in line with Global commitments, National policies and priorities through:
- Assisting in the design of socio-economic impact assessments of COVID-19 on MSMEs in the formal and informal economy;
- Providing input and recommendation on primary data collection (qualitative and quantitative) for socio-economic impact assessments;
- Providing input and recommendation and analysis for conducting secondary data collection (desk research);
- Assisting in developing and utilizing digital solutions for collecting primary data, such as surveys and monitoring progress and impact;
- Undertaking of studies/research on aligning with the country context of the current crisis in collaboration with other Development Partners;
- Researching, analysing and presenting macro-economic trends and data, as well as information on emerging best practices in collection and interpretation of economic data on key issues related to COVID-19;
- Analysing and reporting on economic and statistical data on key issues related to COVID-19 and of relative importance to the country through preparation of briefs and policy notes;
- Providing technical and analytical leadership and/or drafting support for the preparation of UNDP reports or knowledge products prepared by UNDP programmes;
- Creating, managing, and regularly updating an electronic database of socio-economic impact assessments and socio-economic impact data on key issues related to COVID-19;
- Providing data excerpts and analysis, per the requests of Innovations for Development Specialist;
- Providing analysis and substantive inputs to COVID-19 related Assessments, UNDP Country Programme Documents, project and programme documents and other strategic documents;
- Conducting regular horizon scans on trends and good practices on socio-economic assessment methodologies and tools;
- Assisting in writing up analyses of the socio-economic impact assessments (updates and policy briefs) for internal and external audiences;
- Providing support to monitoring and reporting on the affects and impacts of COVID-19;
- Assisting the UNDP country office in resource mobilization efforts as an Upper MIC and HIC;
- Providing oversight support to the programme teams in conducting sector specific analytical works where required to realign current programmes as needed.
- Supporting the monitoring of progress and formulation of strategies toward the achievement of the SDGs in relation to the current crisis;
- Managing of events and publications on COVID-19 economic issues; Representing UNDP in different working groups.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Advanced higher degree (Master’s or equivalent) in a relevant area, e.g. Economics, Econometrics, Finance or a related area; a first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree;
Required experience: 36 Months
- Minimum 3 years of experience ( up to 15 years) professional work experience at the national and/or international level in research and policy-level analysis, or other relevant programmes; experience with socio-economic assessments is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization (depending on the qualifications/experience of the selected candidate, the assignment might be considered as UN Volunteer Specialist (min. 3 years of experience), as UNV Expert or as UNV Senior Expert (15 years), with higher levels of Volunteer Living Allowance for Experts and Senior Experts).
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in international development, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
Area of expertise: Other finance, economics and administration related experience
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Russian(Optional), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise details:
As an active UNDP team member, efficient, timely, responsive, client-friendly and high-quality support rendered to UNDP and its beneficiaries in the accomplishment of her/his functions, including:
- A Work Plan at the outset of the assignment;
- Methodology to evaluate and assess social-economic studies and feasibility of future COVID19 developmental projects;
- High-quality, professional, timely and efficient support in developing, conducting and finalizing socio-economic impact assessment, Programme Documents, project and programme documents and other strategic documents is provided;
- Provides timely input and support for the following: Surveys, focus group questionnaires are developed in line with the methodology provided, distributed via designated digital tools, the results are collected in timely and efficient manner;
- Provides timely input and support in relation to the Database of survey results which is compiled, managed, ensuring that it is updated on a regular basis, in line with the needs of socio-economic impact assessment;
- Analyses of socio-economic impact assessments are presented for a wide range of internal and external audiences;
- Monthly progress reports.
Driving license: No
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams