Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The British Embassy in Uzbekistan is seeking a Programme Officer
that will be responsible for providing technical assistance in managing Post’s programme portfolio, and act as a back-up for relevant programme team colleagues when needed.
The successful candidate will work in partnership with colleagues across Post, Central Asia and the UK, and spend 100% of their time on Post’s development programme work which is expected to have up to ten Uzbekistan based projects on media, human rights, good governance, amongst others.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Programme management (40%):
- Ensure that clear, timely and accurate monthly/quarterly financial and narrative reports are gathered from project implementers and properly stored for Post’s records;
- Prepare final drafts of projects’ progress reports;
- Monitor and manage project level risks escalating when needed;
- Evaluate project progress returns and provide feedback to the implementers;
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation activities, including organisation of and participation in project visits, to assess impact against results at the project and programme level;
- Respond to daily queries from project partners;
- Agree projects publicity plan with Political and Public Diplomacy Section and ensure its effective implementation;
- Attend project events and visit project sites in Uzbekistan.
Programme design and coordination (35%):
- Support Post’s use and design of programme funds, in line with the UK strategy for Central Asia and Uzbekistan country business plan;
- Coordinate annual programme bidding round and manage commercial (e.g. contracts) processes;
- Work with project partners to ensure compliance of projects with respective programme requirements and value for money;
- Manage information effectively in line with Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s policy and systems.
Other programme support (20%):
- Lead on programme related visits and events;
- Provide relevant support to the Post Programme Board;
- Provide support to wider programme work at Post as needed.
Financial reporting (5%):
- Quality assure financial submissions to CSSF Hub in Bishkek, regional finance hub in Vilnius and London;
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of all finance related matters and their compliance with FCO financial processes.
Resources Managed (Staff and Expenditure):
- Programmes valued at up to £1.8M for FY 2020-21;
- Line management of 2 team members (Programme Support Officers).
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English and Russian;
- At least 2 years of experience in project management and/or monitoring and evaluation, financial planning and budget management, preferably in international organisations;
- Good understanding of Uzbekistan and regional context;
- Good interpersonal skills to build and maintain relationships with a range of stakeholders;
- Attention to detail and ability to work under pressure;
- Flexibility to travel within and outside the country;
- Willing to take initiative, flexible, responsible and reliable team player.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Proficient knowledge of Uzbek would be an advantage;
- Experienced in using ORACLE based management/accounting systems;
- Experienced in public diplomacy;
- Experienced in managing teams/staff;
- Occasionally willing to work/travel outside the working hours.
Seeing the Big Picture, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Type of Position
Full-time, Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
Working hours per week
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Type of Post
Number of vacancies
1 July 2020
31 March 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a full-time, fixed-term contract of 9 months with possibility of renewal. Working hours are Monday to Friday, from 09.00-17.00 (40 hours per week).
There will be learning and development opportunities available such as:
- E-learning opportunities, including financial management and ORACLE based management/accounting;
- In-class training in Tashkent delivered by FCO Regional Learning & Development Centre (themes to be identified in consultation with the jobholder);
- CSSF specific training;
- Coaching and mentoring by more experienced colleagues.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Uzbekistan are subject to the terms and conditions of service according to local Uzbek employment law. All applicants interested in this job opportunity should have the legal right to live and work in Uzbekistan.
The British Embassy does not sponsor work permits.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.