Passport Examiner and Consular Assistant
Gross salary of 153 355 TRY per annum
This position is a LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Turkey.
Summary of position:
Under the general supervision of the Senior Consular Officer, the Passport Examiner and Consular Assistant processes passports applications and citizenship documents for Canadian citizens abroad; provides consular support services to Canadians; and financial and accounting services in support of consular, passport and citizenship services provided at the mission; and performs other duties.
Candidates will initially be screened based on the essential qualifications in relation to education, experience and languages. They must demonstrate clearly in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications. Only those candidates who meet all the Essential Requirements will proceed to the next stage of the process.
• A degree or diploma from a recognized university with a specialization in social sciences, administration, international relations or law; OR other specialization relevant to the position
• Fluency in English
(both written and oral)
• Fluency in Turkish (both written and oral)
• 2 years of recent* experience working with the public in a client service environment or an office environment, in an administrative support or program assistant capacity (excludes volunteer and internship work)
• 1 year of recent* experience working with clients (internal and external)
*Recent experience is defined as within the last 7 years
Candidates must also meet the Rated Requirements shown below, which will be assessed through any of the following: written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment. Unless indicated, rated requirements apply to all positions.
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
• Attention to detail
• Ability to work under pressure
• Ability to analyse and interpret information quickly
• Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively while maintaining attention to detail and quality of work
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Discretion and sound judgement
• Professional integrity
• Client focus
• Effective interactive communication
• Excellent organizational skills
• Problem solving/troubleshooting skills
• Teamwork and cooperation
• Adaptability and flexibility
Candidates may also be screened against the Asset Qualifications. Preference may be given to candidates who meet these asset qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and/ or CV.
• Intermediate knowledge of French (both written and oral)
• 6-months of recent* experience working in an Embassy, Consulate or an International Organization.
*Recent experience is defined as within the last 5 years
• Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week, 5 days a week
• Ability to successfully complete the Passport training within 3 months
• Ability to work overtime (compensated)
• Willingness and ability to occasionally travel within Turkey and abroad
• Willingness and ability to undergo training
• Adhere to Canada's Code on Values & Ethics
Condition(s) of Employment:
• Candidates must have a valid work authorization covering the entire employment period. If the employment is indeterminate, the work authorization should be permanent or itself lead to a permanent work authorization.
• Any job offer is subject to receipt of satisfactory employment and character references and the ability to obtain and maintain an Enhanced Reliability security screening including:
o a criminal record check
o National ID, professional and educational certificates
o Credit history check
o Reference check
• Please note that Reliability Status must be maintained throughout your employment at the Embassy, as failure to do so may result in dismissal.
• Copies of educational qualifications will be required at the interview stage of the process.
Area of selection:
This position is open to individuals who are legally authorized to work in Turkey, and to employees occupying an indeterminate or term position at the Embassy of Canada to Turkey in Ankara and the Consulate General of Canada in Istanbul, who meet all of the essential qualifications and whose applications are received on or by the closing date. Please note that the Embassy of Canada to Turkey does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly. The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered based on merit. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
How to apply:
• Candidates are also required to upload a CV and a cover letter. Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information will be rejected.
• Candidates must demonstrate concisely in their cover letter how they meet the essential and asset qualifications. It is recommended that candidates structure their cover letter based on the sections outlined in the Essential Qualifications and in the Asset Qualifications (where applicable) in order to best demonstrate how these are met.
• Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: LES-E-Recruitment-LDN@international.gc.ca prior to the closing date. Failure to so will result in the application being rejected.
• Candidates are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. They are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application (English
• Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
• Candidates who apply to this selection process should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email).
• Candidates selected at the screening stage will be invited for further assessment. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
• Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
• Please note that the Embassy of Canada in Turkey does not sponsor work permits directly or indirectly.
• If candidates need any special assistance in terms of attending interviews or participating in the interview process then please let us know whilst making the application.
• Salaries at the Embassy of Canada in Turkey are established and revised based on a mid-local market employer policy.
• Gross salaries are paid to the employees who are in turn responsible to pay their income taxes to the Turkish Government at the end of the fiscal year.
• The Embassy of Canada in Ankara and the Consulate General in Istanbul do not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
• The results of this competition may also be used to establish an eligibility list of staff for similar openings at the Embassy of Canada in Ankara which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this competition.