Organizational Unit: FETUR
Job Type: Staff position
Type of Requisition: General Service
Grade Level: G-5
Primary Location: Turkey-Ankara
Duration: Fixed term: one year with possibility of extension
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The main aim of the FAO country office, which is headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist government to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help
develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The Office Assistant coordinates and performs the full range of office support, management support and administrative tasks, providing for the smooth and efficient running of the Office. He/ she ensures quality and consistency of the flow of office work and information in the work unit.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Turkey and the direct supervision of the Assistant FAOR, The Office Assistant operates independently and takes decisions on work priorities and exercises initiative for dealing with cases without precedents He/she acts independently in routine matters. Supervision received is focused on the quality of the work performed and provides for on-the-job learning. He/ she provides guidance and advice to other office support staff. The incumbent operates independently and takes decisions on work priorities and exercises initiative for dealing with cases without precedents. Supervision received is focused on the quality of work outputs. He/ she provides guidance and advice to other office support staff.
The Office Assistant works closely with a wide range of colleagues in the division /region, with central units and external clients, performing and coordinating office- and management support services, and providing procedural guidance and information.
Impact Of Work
- Screen requests for appointments with supervisor; maintain supervisor's calendar; confirm mutually convenient schedules and arrange appointments; receive visitors; place and screen telephone calls; respond to queries and correspondence, often of a sensitive, confidential or technical nature;
- Coordinate office support services for meetings, trainings, seminars, committees, and special projects and events; attend meetings, prepare minutes, monitor follow-up activities; make arrangements for formal editing, translation, etc., of documents and publications;
- Review, record, distribute and process incoming mail and correspondence; follow-up on pending actions; prepare draft responses to a wide range of correspondence and other communications, often requiring knowledge of technical terminologies and/or detailed office procedures; carry out quality control functions for outgoing documents; proofread texts for adherence to format, grammar, punctuation and style;
- Perform a variety of administrative duties, e.g. contract extensions and requests for temporary staff, leave and attendance recording, budget preparation and follow-up; coordinate with other units to ensure smooth running and expedition of work within the unit;
- Research, compile, and organize background information and reference materials from various sources for reports, briefs and speeches; generate a variety of statistical and other reports from various databases;
- Coordinate the work of other office support staff, establish priorities and ensure equitable distribution of work; train new staff to relevant administrative procedures and practices and provide general assistance as required;
- Create and maintain the work unit's filing and reference systems; review the efficiency of office procedures and make recommendations for improvements; update office websites;
- Perform other duties as required.
The incumbent's work impacts directly on the smooth and efficient running of the Office. He/ she plays a lead role in the provision of office support services for successful achievement of the organizational unit's mandate.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Secondary School Education
Four years of relevant experience in office/ management support work
Working knowledge (Level C) of English
Very good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Desirable Qualifications And Skills
- Very good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
- Very good knowledge of corporate computerized financial / travel / human resources systems and administrative procedures and policies
- Very good knowledge of the organizational structure
- Working knowledge (Level C) of Turkish
- Limited knowledge (Level B) of other FAO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.