The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption
The British Consulate General in Istanbul is part of a world-wide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a Technical Estates Officer to join the Corporate Services Team.
The main purpose of the job is to oversee the planned preventative maintenance and technical works to be carried out on the estate including offices, grounds and residential properties ensuring compliance with UK standards for health and safety and electrical safety. Arrange contractors and procure all necessary items with regard to value for money.
Main responsibilities will include:
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Responsibility for review and implementation of the Planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM) schedule with support from the Estates Manager (EM);
- Work closely with the Technical Works Officer (TWO) and Supervisor (TWS) to provide support for projects and the Post Compliance Assessment (PCA);
- Liaise with international contractors and suppliers to provide support for any centrally funded projects;
- Supervise all servicing, routine maintenance and breakdown works, including plant and equipment e.g. generators, boilers, emergency lighting, air conditioning, etc.;
- Maintain comprehensive records of service and maintenance works;
- Manage the technical team of 4 staff and the gardening team of 3 staff, including performance management and appraisals;
- Schedule work for the team according to the PPM schedule and the technical works requests;
- Provide a technical report for new post residential hiring’s to assist the Accommodation Officer;
- Oversight of the technical works for the Consulate including offices, residential properties and grounds including amenities;
- Produce risk assessments and work method statements for team tasks;
- Liaise with and supervise local contractors and suppliers for any necessary projects or service including cost control, design and implementation. Follow strict procurement guidelines;
- Be available to travel within Turkey occasionally to support coastal posts.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- At least 3 years' experience in mechanical/engineering or electrical field or any equivalent combination of training and experience;
- Knowledge of Health and Safety procedures
- Experience in building/compound management managing a team;
- High degree of technical ability;
- Ability to interpret engineering/technical drawings;
- Fluency in Turkish (both oral and written, minimum C1 level*) and intermediate English (both oral and written, minimum B1level);
- Driving licence (including proficient driving experience);
- IT Literate in Microsoft Office;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Good time management and organisation skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues.
- Knowledge of UK Health and Safety regulations;
- Experience in planning and supervising small work project including instructing and co-ordinating sub-contractors;
- Technical qualifications such as in electrics, plumbing, building/compound management;
- Experience of working in an International Organization.
Leading and Communicating, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Grade A2 (L)
Type of Position Full-time, Permanent
Working hours per week 36.25
Region Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Location (City) Istanbul
Type of Post British Consulate General
Number of vacancies 1
Starting monthly salary (USD) 1,447.61 gross
Start Date 1 June 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a permanent contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
The monthly salary for this position is 1,447.61 USD gross, paid in 12 instalments, A2 level. Please note that staff members are responsible for paying any income tax required by local law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Turkey. The British Consulate General does not sponsor for work permits.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and a probation period of 2 months.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General in Istanbul are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Turkish employment law.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We are committed to developing a learning organisation that enhances business performance, maximises our staff’s potential and encourages staff innovation and development.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.