Immigration Liaison Assistant - Maternity Cover
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Other British Government Departments (Partners across Government, including UK Visas)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption.
The British Consulate General in Istanbul is part of a worldwide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit an Immigration Liaison Assistant (ILA) - Maternity cover.
The successful candidate will work within Immigration Enforcement International (IEI), which is part of the Home Office at the British Consulate General in Istanbul.
IEI has responsibility for identifying immigration abuse and threats to the UK Border, preventing inadequately documented passengers arriving in the UK, identifying visa abuse and developing investigations against individuals and organisations, which cause harm to the UK. IEI works with UK and international law enforcement partners.
The jobholder will provide key operational support to IEI team but will also be expected to work independently. Excellent organisation skills and a practical approach to multi-tasking and problem solving are required. The jobholder will also need to develop and maintain strong working relationships with key partners both inside and outside the Consulate.
Previous experience of working in an intelligence environment is not required as full training will be given, but would be very useful. Some regional travel maybe required so please keep this in mind when applying for the job.
Main roles and responsibilities:
• Provide support to the Immigration Liaison Manager and Immigration Liaison Officer(s) as appropriate, including arranging trips, providing budgetary support, compiling minutes;
• Prepare, compile and distribute statistics;
• Maintain local databases;
• Draft and circulate carrier alerts, information circulars, training handouts and newsletters.
• Stakeholder liaison with banks, educational establishments and other organisations as required;
identify trends in visa applications;
• Participate in and record compliance exercises in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures;
• Support the Immigration Liaison Manager and Immigration Liaison Officer in liaising with the Turkish National Police and host authorities;
• Build and maintain relationships with UK bound airlines in dealing with enquiries regarding improperly documented passengers.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
• Educated to Bachelor's/Degree level;
• Fluency in Turkish and English
(both spoken and written, minimum C2 level*);
• Proficient Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Able to prioritise work effectively without close supervision and also work as a member of a team;
• Able to maintain professionalism, and deliver, under pressure;
• Ability to analyse information from a number of sources in different formats and produce related reporting within published guidelines and timeframes;
• An excellent team player;
• Flexible and positive about working in a forward thinking, modern and motivated department which works at the forefront of the UK Home Office, Immigration Enforcement International (IEI) operations. We are committed to improving standards and procedures - and we are looking for like-minded staff members.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
• Experience of immigration work, intelligence gathering and document fraud would be a distinct advantage;
• Relevant translation experience;
• Knowledge of airline procedures and travel documentation;
• Proficiency in Arabic (written and spoken).
Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Type of Post
British Consulate General
Number of vacancies
Starting monthly salary (USD)
1447,61 USD gross + responsibility allowance of 539.13 USD
2 August 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a full-time fixed-term contract until May 2022 (maternity cover) for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
The monthly salary for this position is 1447, 61 USD gross + responsibility allowance of 539,13 USD, paid in 12 instalments, A2 level. Please note that staff members are responsible for paying any income tax required by local law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Turkey. The British Consulate General does not sponsor for work permits.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and a probation period of 2 months.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General in Istanbul are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Turkish employment law.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We are committed to developing a learning organisation that enhances business performance, maximises our staff’s potential and encourages staff innovation and development.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.